Great visibility and location for this automotive/retail/commercial opportunity, just one mile east of The Hub! The surrounding mixed-use Longwood section of the South Bronx has experienced steady growth and intense revitalization in recent years, and here is your chance to participate in the neighborhood’s rennaissance.
Longwood South Bronx Bronx
Population 46,824 523,000 1,332,650
Pop.Growth 18.7% 11.8% 9.4%
(’99 to ’00)
“The Hub” in South Bronx is the retail center where four roads meet: Willis, Melrose, Third Avenues, and East 149th Street, just one mile away from where this retail automotive building is located. It has been a destination for Bronx residents since the beginning of the 20th century, is the oldest and one of the trendiest shopping locales in the Bronx. Having undergone much new construction and redevelopment in recent years, the Hub is drawing plenty of traffic via East 149th Street - both by car and public transportation, as well as by foot – much of this traffic will travel right past this highly visible automotive/commercial location!
This corner building is also near many other popular destinations. Saint Mary’s Recreation Center, the largest park in the South Bronx and less than a half-mile from the property, is highly popular with residents. Its well-maintained 35 acres offer running tracks, handball courts, baseball fields, basketball courts, an indoor pool, and a rec center offering a wide variety of educational programs and events. There are also several playgrounds in the immediate vicinity, as well as specialty food stores, coffee shops, grocery stores, hardware stores, and pharmacies. The closest school is P.S. 25 Bilingual School at 811 East 149th Street. It is New York City’s first designated bilingual public school and has an enrollment of about 350 students.
The site has good access to highways and public transportation as well, with the Bruckner Expressway (Interstate 278) within a half-mile, and the subway station at East 149th Street is just steps away. Buses also run along East 149th Street. The Bruckner Expressway handles approximately 115,000 vehicles every day, and much of the traffic exiting the expressway will notice this excellent corner location.
Property Details and Highlights:
- Located in a busy, highly mixed-use area – commercial, retail, industrial, residential, recreational, institutional, and office buildings are all prevalent
- Within walking distance to employment, transportation, recreation, and educational opportunities
- 7500 square foot building
- 116’ frontage on East 149th Street, and 109’ on Timpson Place
- Four units; currently consisting of a restaurant and three retail/automotive use spaces, with roll-up garage doors
- Individually-zoned heat and air conditioning units
With South Bronx being one of the few relatively inexpensive places to live in New York City, it is necessary that the area consistently assess, maintain, and redevelop its residential neighborhoods. Efforts made toward an improved quality of life combined with affordable housing have drastically increased the number of homeowners in the South Bronx. Some areas of renewal include:
- Melrose Commons Urban Renewal Area, a large-scale, 46-acre redevelopment project that, upon completion will have created an estimated sustainable 2,000 housing units in a welcoming neighborhood setting.
- Hunts Point Vision Plan Task Force has addressed land use issues, workforce solutions and support, and has worked at improving traffic and public safety, waterfront access, and streetscapes.
- The Bronx Center Project focuses on a 300 block area of the South Bronx that is need of rehabilitation, and this community group has plans for an estimated $2 billion in various revitalization projects.
This is your opportunity to join in a growing, currently redeveloping neighborhood! Don’t miss out on this incredible location – call now!