This unbelievable location overlooks Central Park and one of its famous stone arches! If you are looking for a residential rental opportunity that is truly in the center of all and that exemplifies everything New York City, there is no excuse to look any further. This building has everything from amazing living spaces to transportation accessibility, to incredible views, to recreation and entertainment availability, and so on . . .
Upper West Side Data
Upper West Side New York
Land Area 2.48 sq. miles 301 sq. miles
Population 207,519 8,391,881
Median Household Income $86,512 $50,033
Avg. Household Size 1.8 2.6
No need to venture far to begin your morning commute when there is a bus stop right out your front door! Additionally, the A, B, and C trains are accessible within one block at the Cathedral Parkway station, and the 1, 2, 3, and 9 train lines along Broadway are close by as well. Riverside Drive and Henry Hudson Parkway are located within just a mile west, providing transport to destinations north like Harlem, the George Washington Bridge, and Yonkers, and along the Hudson to all points south. This location leaves nothing to be desired where ease of transportation is concerned.
The location’s immediate access to a major transportation network as well as neighborhood conveniences, world famous institutions, and parks all contribute to its “Walker’s Paradise” status on walkscore.com. Primarily residential with some residential/commercial mixed-use buildings, this neighborhood provides you with a peaceful place to live without sacrificing the conveniences of urban life. Within a few block perimeter from 485 Central Park West you will have your choice of grocery stores and meat markets, as well as delis, cafés, churches, schools, beauty salons, and doctors’ offices. Not to mention the incredible 843-acre Central Park that lies just steps away.
Your very popular park neighbor is broken down into seven bodies of water (totaling 150 acres), 250 acres of lawn area, and 136 acres of woodlands. For relaxation you will have your choice of eight designated Quiet Areas, and for children’s recreation there are 21 playgrounds. Also featured are seven eateries, both full-service and café-style, a 1.58-acre running track, and the North Meadow Recreation Center, offering park-goers of all ages many opportunities to join in organized sport clinics and activities. Seemingly endless other attractions within the park will always provide you with things to see and do, and to name just a few:
- Sculptures and fountains throughout (48 total) honoring war veterans, literary characters, historical figures, and many more
- Central Park Zoo, featuring animals from all around the world
- The Conservatory Garden with its three distinctly stylized gardens – French, English, and Italian
- 36 bridges, with one within view from 485 Central Park West’s easterly-facing windows
- The Carousel – one of Central Park’s most frequented attractions
- Fishing at Harlem Meer
- Events throughout the year, such as The Central Park Conservancy Film Festival, adult social hours at Harlem Meer, Summer Chess, the Harlem Meer Performance Festival, and the eco-educational “A Clearing in the Forest” series
The apartments located at 485 Central Park West are bright, cheerful, and functional. Classic architectural details include decoratively arched doorways, extra-wide baseboards and window sills, and intricate crown molding and trim. Many also offer open floor plans, parquet wood flooring, large rooms, ceiling fans, and beautiful built-in shelving.
Additional features and information :
- Seven stories, elevatored, and containing 67 units
- Built circa 1900 of steel frame and brick/mortar
- Upper West Side location
- 54,824 square feet with average unit size being 650 square feet
- Seven ground floor apartments, upper floors have ten units each
- Unit count: 26 studio apartments, 33 one-bedroom units, seven two-bedroom, and one seven-room apartment
- Intercom buzzer system, secure lobby, and surveillance cameras
- 10-person passenger elevator serving all floors
- Possible basement storage
- Seven exterior fire escapes and adequate smoke/carbon monoxide detectors
- Updated electric, separate for all units
- In a very pedestrian-friendly area neighboring Central Park
- Major subway and bus lines accessible within minutes
The Central Park Conservancy’s mission is to maintain, improve, and preserve the legendary park for continued enjoyment for generations to come. It has spent over $113 million in restoration projects and other improvements since its origination in 1980, some of the recent ones including:
- Restoration of the Lake and its shoreline is continuous and ongoing
- Improvements to Ancient Playground (2009)
- Minton ceiling tiles at the Bethesda Terrace Arcade (2007)
- Landscaping south of the Mount and Conservatory Garden (2008)
- West 100th Street Playground (2006)
- Heckscher Playground, ball fields, and surrounding landscaping (2006)
This is a unique and pleasant residential building in a location that can’t be beat. Living here will make you the envy of everyone you know!