Surround yourself with luxury at 590-593 Riverside Drive in Manhattanville! This impressive residential building is a sight to see, featuring magnificent architectural details and unbelievably spacious apartment units. Residents can truly make themselves at home here, and enjoy close proximity to public transportation and the commercial district on Broadway, as well as incredible river views from many of the apartments.
Community District # 9 Land Use Statistics (2010 excerpts):
Lots Area Percentage
1-2 Family Residential 355 2.0
Multi-Family Residential 1,335 26.4
Mixed-Use 306 7.3
Commercial/Office 93 2.5
Institutions 195 20.0
Open Space/Recreation 22 30.2
Access to public transportation is easy when there is a subway stop just one short block away, at Broadway and 137th Street. This station is served by the 1 train at all times. Bus service is also quickly accessed when there is a stop right in front of the building. The network of roadways within the immediate area is well-connected and provides convenient access to major routes, including the Major Deegan Expressway, Henry Hudson Parkway, Harlem River Drive, and the Triborough Bridge.
This block is considered a “Walker’s Paradise” on walkscore.com, with its close proximity to transportation and retail options, as well as access to outstanding park recreation facilities. The well-maintained, tree-lined and landscaped street with ornate turn-of-the-century mid-rise buildings and striking river views greatly contributes to the charm of the area.
Just across the street is the 28-acre Riverbank State Park, one of the most widely visited state parks in New York State. With its incredible views of the Hudson River, Palisade Mountains, and the George Washington Bridge, the park offers five major buildings that respectively house an Olympic-size pool, a 2,500-seat athletic complex, skating rink, 800-seat theater, and restaurant. The park also offers outdoor swimming and wading pools, four tennis courts, picnic areas, a 400-seat amphitheater, a running track, various athletic courts and fields, and docking facilities. All this is immediately accessible from 590-593 Riverside Drive’s front door – stepping out has never been such a pleasant experience!
Several other fabulous attractions and culturally-rich destinations are within a short walking distance. At the Manhattan School of Music, an 85 year old college that offers majors for all musical dedications less than a mile south, there are over 800 graduate, undergraduate, and doctoral students attending and about 275 faculty members. The college holds about 400 concerts per year. The world-famous Cotton Club is located just six blocks south, still operating and paying tribute to its highly influential roots. The jazz music night club originated in the early 1920’s and featured greats such as Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and many more.
Also nearby are many quality schools and colleges and West Harlem Piers Park, offering riverside pedestrian and bike paths, recreational piers, and gorgeous river views. Countless reputable dining options are in the surrounding area, as well as grocery and discount stores – it is never a long venture to acquire everyday necessities.
590-593 Riverside Drive is a grand six-story residential building occupying the corner of Riverside and West 136th Street. The proud relic was built at the turn of the twentieth century and was meant to appeal to the wealthier, luxurious families of Manhattanville. For the modern tenant this translates to spacious rooms, fine architectural features, and an extra bedroom and attached half bath where the servant’s quarters were located.
Building Data and Highlights:
- Beautifully maintained six-story plus basement brick building with elevator service
- Exceptional Manhattanville neighborhood with west-facing apartments enjoying park and river views
- Constructed circa 1905
- 61,812 square feet
- 40 units, including superintendent’s apartment
- Apartments consist of one (1) studio unit, three (3) one-bedroom units, two (2) two-bedroom units, six (6) three-bedroom/one bath units, three (3) three-bedroom/1.5 bath units, six (6) six room, four-bedroom/1.5 bath units, fifteen (15) 7 room, four-bedroom/1.5 bath units, and three (3) five-bedroom/2.5 bath units
- Units vary in size, with an average of about 1585 square feet, with the upper floors having the larger apartments (averaging around 1717 square feet)
- Many attractive design elements include window flourishes, marble walls, flying arches, and elaborate trim work
- Typical apartment features include hardwood flooring in the living areas, French doors, decorative fireplaces, ceramic tile in the kitchen and baths, and formal dining rooms, while a few select apartments also feature sliding glass doors with balconies
- Family-friendly building and area, or perfect for a shared apartment situation
- Magnetic lock lobby doors
- On-site superintendent
- Rentable storage lockers
- Heat and hot water included
- Laundry room in basement
- Immediate access to Riverbank State Park
- Bus stop in front of building and the 1 train is accessible within one block
- A Pedestrian’s Dream with dining, shopping, and recreation in the immediate area
Being just steps away from the amazing Riverbank State Park it would be negligent not to keep up with the many exciting events, many of them free to attend, which occur throughout the year. Some examples of these include:
- The Youth Chess Tournament Series
- Opportunity to gain access to the Community Garden from April 1 through the third Sunday in December
- Free summertime jazz concerts at 5 pm, every second and fourth Sunday
- Children’s performing arts program, “The Popsicle Series,” held Wednesdays at 1:30
- The park offers more than 400 educational programs
This refined apartment building is truly something special, and you couldn’t ask for a better view or neighborhood. Call to find out more today!